Have you ever
wondered, as a Christian, if you may be 'MISSING IT'? I mean, you know you prayed the prayer of
salvation before, you read your Bible once in a while, you try to do what's
right, you pray alone when you
can, and you try to go to church every
Sunday, but somewhere deep down inside you honestly feel like you may NOT be
doing what Jesus wants.
To be honest with you, I've been in that same predicament for the majority of my Christian life.
It has just been recently that I have realized what Jesus has actually
asked me, along with every other Christian in the world, to be doing, and it
all starts with knowing what He said.
I still vividly
remember lying in bed with my beautiful wife on our honeymoon in Jamaica and
thinking to myself, "Ryan, how well do you know what Jesus actually said." That question forever changed my life. From that moment on, after weeping in bed with my wife, I made a commitment to get to
know Jesus better, and strive to live my life the way that He had told me to.
I remember sitting on the balcony overlooking the vast ocean and going
through the book of Luke and writing down everything Jesus said , and then writing in my notebook what that
would look like in my life if I actually tried to live that out. As I started to strive to live my life
according to what Jesus said, my life began to change. I started to see chains of sin being
broken, walls of insecurities
and uncertainties coming down, a boldness that I had never felt before rising within me, and God moving in miraculous ways that I had never seen before. I couldn't believe how much freedom I felt in striving to live the way that Jesus had
commanded me to. There was now a
new found knowledge and love for my Savior that had never been present before, simply because I had
made the decision to finally read the 'Red Letters' for myself and strive to live a life reflective of complete obedience to His words.
As I continued to look
into what Jesus said, I found myself clinging especially to the words that He had
spoken in the most crucial and important times of His life. For instance, the words that would change my life forever, are the last words that Jesus spoke to His disciples before He
ascended into Heaven and was gone. I mean think about it, if you had a few more moments left on this earth to verbalize your
heart to your closest friends, wouldn't you want your last words to be the most important and
heartfelt statements you had ever
made? That is exactly what I found Jesus communicating to his disciples in Matthew 28 as he
gave them a command that would forever alter history as we know it. He told the disciples in the last
verses recorded in the book of Matthew to GO INTO ALL THE WORLD
AND MAKE DISCIPLES, BAPTIZING THEM IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, THE
SON, AND THE HOLY SPIRIT, AND TEACH THOSE DISCIPLES TO OBEY EVERYTHING
HE COMMANDED, AND THEN HE REASSURED THEM THAT HE WOULD BE WITH THEM UNTIL
THE END OF THE WORLD. To
be honest with you though, I truly feel like that statement by
Christ, is one of the most overlooked statements Jesus ever made, because of the fact
that the vast majority of believers in the world don't know how to MAKE DISCIPLES.
I mean ask yourself right now: How many people have you
shared the gospel with and seen baptized?; How many discples have you ever made
and do you know how to do that?; and how well do you even know what Jesus
commanded? Answering these
questions truly was the launching pad of my revived Christian
life. I had to be honest
with myself and admit to a few convicting things: 1. I couldn't recall how many people
I had actually led to Christ myself and seen baptized 2. I didn't know of any
disciples that I had ever actually made because I didn't even know to do that,
and 3. I didn't really know what Jesus ever commanded in the Bible. In order to answer these questions, I knew I had to RISE above many things in my life in order to
fulfill the calling that Christ had called me, and all of us to do, which was
to MAKE
DISCIPLES.
After nearly 10 months
or so of my own deliberate testing of how to spread the gospel to the unsaved
world, I found that "NOT BEING ASHAMED OF THE GOSPEL" WAS THE FIRST CHAIN
THAT WAS KEEPING ME FROM ACCOMPLISHING THE FIRST COMMAND THAT CHRIST MADE IN
HIS STATEMENT IN MATTHEW WHICH WAS TO LITERALLY 'GO’. I had known for quite some time that the
"gospel" itself was perfectly
packaged for us in the words of
Jesus Christ when He spoke to Nicodemus in John 3:16. In that story, Nicodemus, who was a
very 'religious'
guy who had strived to follow the law perfectly, asked Jesus how to go
to Heaven, and Jesus responded
to him with one of the most loving and radical statements of all time. Jesus told Nicodemus that "God loved the
world so much, that He gave His one and only Son (Jesus), so that everyone who believes in
Him by confessing and turning from their sin and fully
committing their lives to living for Christ forever, would not die
and go to Hell, but would have eternal life in Heaven. I mean, think of how radical of a statement that was for Jesus to say to this young
man. He basically told Nicodemus that if he didn't believe in
Him , that he would die
and go to a burning place called Hell forever. But I truly think that the most radical part
of that verse is the actual meaning of the word 'believe' that Jesus used. The word 'believe' found in that verse, is the Greek word
'pisteau' which literally has no proper translation to the English language. The word
'pisteau' is actually an ongoing present tense action
verb that literally corresponds to a full out life commitment and willingness
to die which should result in a radical and lasting change in behavior.
When we fully grasp the meaning of that word 'believe' and then we look at how it affected the life of
Nicodemus when he heard Jesus
use it, you find that Nicodemus definitely got it. I mean, just read through the rest of
the book of John to see how it changed Nicodemus' life. A few chapters
later you will find Nicodemus with a new found boldness that causes him to stand up for Christ
and speak on His behalf in the midst of a group tyrants who were ready to crucify Jesus.
Then later, you see Nicodemus show up again as well when you see
him taking Jesus' body off of the cross after Jesus died. If those two actions by Nicodemus
don't reveal to us the severity and powerfulness of the word 'believe' that Jesus used to show us how to go to
heaven, then I don't know what else would. John 3:16, when fully understood, is the most powerful and life
changing statement that Jesus ever made and it honestly has the power to change the life of all of
those who hear it.
Starting about 10
months ago, in order to test the power and effectiveness of sharing John 3:16 with
others, I decided to print
off cards with John 3:16 on the back and hand them out to random people I came
across. Before handing them out though, I would first ask the person if
I could ask them a question. After asking hundreds and maybe even
thousands of people if I could 'ask them a question', I found that 100% of the time they responded with 'yes', which always seemed to 'break the ice' per say. After they would give me the
approval of being able to ask them a question, I would simply ask:"Do you know what
John 3:16 says?" Surprisingly,
nearly 90% of the time, I found that they had never heard of it before! If they had heard of it before,
they didn't know what it said, and if they did try to quote it, they only got the first
half right, and if they did get
the whole thing out, it was stated in such a way that it sounded like some form
of King James confused version that no one could even grasp because of all the
'eths' required in quoting it (ex. loveth, believeth, perisheth). Once
they made it clear that they didn't know the verse very well, I would ask them
if they knew who said it. After they would admit that they didn't know
that either, I would simply tell them a short background of the verse and state
that a young man had just asked Jesus how to go to Heaven, and then I would go
on and tell them what Jesus said in a way that they understood. For
instance "Jesus told the young man that wanted to go to Heaven that
God loved the world so much, that He gave His one and only Son (Jesus), so that
everyone who believes in Him by confessing and turning
from their sin and fully committing their lives to living for
Christ forever, would not die and go to Hell, but would
have eternal life in Heaven."
After reading the
verse to them, I would ask them if they knew what it meant to 'believe' in Jesus. Nearly 99% of the time I received a response that
was nowhere close to the actual meaning of the word in the Greek. I would
then explain the meaning of the word and let them know that Jesus wants them to
turn from their sin and have a close relationship with Him and strive to know
Him, obey Him, and remain close to Him forever. After telling them the
meaning of 'believe', I would ask them
straight forward if they 'believed'
in Jesus. Over 90% of the time I received a response from them with newly opened eyes
claiming that 'yes I believe'.
It was at that point that I would hand them 3 cards and tell them to ck out the website and
consider coming to church and also sharing a card with someone else. This entire conversation may take a few minutes
and you may never see the person again, or it could spark a
relationship that changes that person’s life, and your relationship with that
person could become strong enough to last a lifetime, which I have seen happen
on many occasions already. The question is, are you willing to be BOLD ENOUGH to share the gospel with someone else.
Are you willing to not NOT BE ASHAMED OF CHRIST?
Although I've found a
simple way to accomplish the first part of the command given by Christ in
Matthew 28 to go and share the gospel, the next question is how do we get them baptized? Obviously the best way for this to
take place is to suggest to them to get involved in a local church body.
After doing that you can then encourage them to be baptized, or if you
want to get really radical, just find the nearest swimming pool:-) Either
way, if a true relationship is sparked, then strive to get their contact
information, and stay in touch with that person in terms of texting, calling,
emailing, and communicating with them on a regular basis until you are able to
start the next step in the process and the most overlooked part of Christ’s
command which is to make them a disciple.
I don’t understand how
I could go through nearly 20 years of my Christian life and not know how to ‘make a disciple’ but that’s where I have found myself even up
to recently. But it all changed when I read Jesus’ final command a little closer in Matthew 28:20. In that verse Jesus gave us
a direct formula for how to make a disciple. He simply told us to “teach them
to obey everything He commanded.” I don’t know about you, but that sounds like
Jesus wants us to know what He commanded, strive to obey what He said, and in turn teach others to do the same! That sounds radically simple to
me. All we need now is a list of His commands and a willingness to sacrifice our time
to teach others how to obey those commands?
In order to be able to apply this
simple tactic to my own life in
terms of making disciples by teaching others to obey what
Jesus commanded, I first decided to
make a categorized
list of every command that
Jesus gave to us in Scripture. All I did was simply look up every commandthat Jesus gave, summarized each one with a short phrase which displayed
the main point of that particular command, categorized each command based on topic, and then ordered
the topics by frequency in terms of how many times Jesus gave that particular
command. The results of this process were eye opening, heart
challenging, and life changing to say the least. After going through nearly 90
commands of Christ, I quickly found out that Jesus was a lot different than I
initially thought. The things
that He
commanded the most were
things that I had never heard a lotabout during my Christian life, and the things that I had heard many times
about Jesus before were nowhere to be found in His commands! It was after seeing theradical nature of the
commands of Christ, that I started to
truly fall
in love with Him like never
before.
Here are the topical command categories of Christ ordered by
frequency:
§ Repent, Obey, & Remain Faithful Until the
End (34 times)
§ Love Others (13 times)
§ Humble Yourself & Don’t be Prideful (10
times)
§ Sacrifice your Money & Possessions to the
Poor (8 times)
§ Don’t Commit Sexual Sins (7 times)
§ Pray (5 times)
§ Tell Others About Jesus (5 times)
§ Don’t Talk Badly and Be Careful What You Say
(3 times)
§ Watch out for Pastors and Teachers who Don’t
Teach the truth (3)
In order for us to look deeper
into these categories, and therefore fully grasp the commands that Christ gave, here is the complete
and compiled this of Christ’s commands with short one sentence summaries and
scripture references.
REPENT, OBEY, & REMAIN FAITHFUL
1.
Strive for perfection
and righteousness, and to be separate from the world (Matthew 5:43-48)
2.
Be hardcore and
dedicated to repentance and turning from sin (Revelation 3:19)
3.
Hypocrisy must not
exist and don't live a fake life filled with secret sins but instead confess
and turn from them (Luke 12:1-2)
4.
Love and obey Jesus
just like you did when you first believed and turn away from sin (Revelation
2:4-5)
5.
Be faithful even if it
means dying for Jesus (Revelation 2:10)
6.
Hold on tightly to
your faith until Jesus returns or you die (Revelation 2:25)
7.
Stay strong and stand
for Christ until the very end of time (Mark 13:13)
8.
Seek after what God
wants and Obey Him (Matthew 16:24)
9.
We must be born again
and look like a completely new person in order to go to Heaven (John 3:5-6)
10.
Do not sin anymore
(John 8:11; 5:14; Luke 13:3,5)
11.
Hold strong to Jesus'
teachings and then you will be Set Free (John 8:31-32)
12.
If we love Jesus, we
will obey Him (John 14:15)
13.
If we obey Jesus,
He will love us (John 14:23-24)
14.
If we obey Jesus, He
will love us, and Reveal Himself to us (John 14:21)
15.
Remain committed to
Jesus and keep listening to Him (John 15:5)
16.
If you obey the
commands of Jesus you will remain in His love (John 15:10)
17.
Don't let concerns for
family interfere with Gods commands and His will for your life (Luke
14:26)
18.
Understand that the
cost will be great and we must be willing to lose everything for Jesus (Luke
14:28-33)
19.
Hear God's Word and
obey it (Luke 11:25)
20.
Don't turn away from
the words of Christ (Revelation 3:20)
21.
Learn from previous
lessons and obey (Revelation 3:2-3)
22.
Focus on cleaning up
the inside of your life and it will show on the outside (Matthew 23:25-26)
23.
Watch for certain sins
to be exposed by Jesus, and then fix them (Mark 13:37)
24.
Always be ready for
Jesus to return (Luke 12:35-40)
25.
Stand strong and
remain faithful and it will save your soul (Luke 21:19)
26.
Be born again by
turning from sin and believing in Jesus in order to go to heaven & not go
to hell (John 3:16; Luke 3:3)
27.
Believe in Jesus by
committing our lives to Him, striving to remain faithful, and being willing to
die for Him (John 12:36)
28.
Wake up & perform
perfect works and strive to do right in everything (Revelation 2:26)
29.
Listen to and read
Jesus' words and obey them (Luke 6:46-49)
30.
Put into practice what
we read (Luke 8:21)
31.
Closely listen to the
words of Christ by intently reading what He said (Luke 10:39-42; John 6:63)
32.
Only a few people will
be saved, so enter through the narrow way (Matthew 7:13-14)
33.
Many will try to go to
heaven but only a few actually will (Luke 13:23-24)
34.
Watch out and be
alert...don't he drunk and waste time on useless things because Jesus could
return at any moment (Luke 21:24-26)
LOVE OTHERS
1.
Treat others the way
you would want to be treated (Matthew 7:12)
2.
Love God with
everything you have and love others in that same way (Matthew 22:2-30)
3.
Do good to others by
helping them in any way possible even if they hate us and treat us badly,
love our enemies, & pray for those who persecute us and hate us.
(Matthew 5:38-42)
4.
Don't hold in anger
towards others regardless of the situation (Matthew 5:21-25)
5.
Check ourselves before
confronting another person about sin (Luke 6:39-42)
6.
Don't judge other
people but instead check yourself first (Matthew 7:1-5)
7.
Show mercy to
others (Matthew 12:33-37)
8.
If you know that
another Christian sinned then confront them; if they don't change then take 2-3
other people; if they still refuse to change then take them before everyone;
then cast him out as an unbeliever (Matthew 18:15-17)
9.
Love each other (John
13:34-35)
10.
Love each other just
like Jesus loved us and died for us (John 15:12-14)
11.
Love each other (John
15:17)
12.
If a brother does you
wrong, then confront him about it. If he says sorry and changes, then
forgive him everytime he truly repents and says sorry. (Luke 17:3-4)
13.
Don't neglect mercy,
justice, and faithfulness (Matthew 23:23)
BE HUMBLE & DON’T BE PRIDEFUL
1.
Listen & be humble
(Mark 4:24-25)
2.
Don't burden others
with things that you are not willing to do yourself, and don't try to 'show
off' your good works in a prideful manner (Matthew 23:2-5)
3.
Don't do acts of
charity in a prideful way but rather give to the poor in secret in the sight of
God (Matthew 6:1-4)
4.
Don't fast in a public
and showy manner but instead in a very humble way knowing that God sees you
(Matthew 6:16-18)
5.
Don't get caught up in
being loved and noticed by others because of your position (Luke 11:43)
6.
We must serve others
like a humble servant (Matthew 20:26-28)
7.
We must refer to
ourselves as brothers and we are all under Christ (Matthew 23:8-10)
8.
Don't be concerned
about being 'first'...be humble and put others ahead of you (Luke 14:8-11)
9.
Don't throw parties
and dinners expecting to be repaid and don't just invite friends...invite those
who are crippled, lame, and blind. (Luke 14:12-14)
10.
Wash other people's
feet to show humility (John 13:14)
SACRIFICE MONEY & POSSESSIONS
1.
Don't be surprised
when selfish desires begin to fade away, & you start loving Jesus more than
anything (Matthew 16:25)
2.
Be willing to
sacrifice and go through pain or else you cannot be a disciple of Christ
(Matthew 16:26)
3.
We must forsake
everything to follow Christ (Luke 14:27)
4.
Be willing to do
scary, uncomfortable, and challenging things and don't be all wrapped up in
this life here on earth. (Matthew 16:24-25)
5.
If you hate your life
here on earth, you will gain eternal life (John 12:25)
6.
Sell your Possessions
and give to the poor so that you will have treasures in Heaven (Luke 12:33-34)
7.
Sell your possessions
and give your money to the poor and then follow Jesus (Luke 18:20-22)
8.
Don't worry and stress
over money, food, and clothing bc Jesus will take care of you (Matthew 6:31-34)
PRAY
1.
Strive to learn from
Jesus by praying and trying to hear His voice and it is then that rest and
peace will come (Matthew 11:29; Luke 11:28)
2.
Listen to the Lord and
find out how to handle what has been given (Luke 8:18)
3.
Go in your closet and
pray and don't just babble on and on trying to sound cool...just be real and
pray the way Jesus taught us to...God knows what we need (Matthew 6:5-8)
4.
Pray that you won't
fall into temptation (Luke 22:40)
5.
Ask God for what you
want and He will give it to you (Matthew 7:7)
TELL OTHERS ABOUT CHRIST
1.
Don't waste time on
people who are completely unresponsive and hateful towards the gospel message
(Matthew 7:6)
2.
Don't worry about
saying the right thing when trying to defend yourself, but instead trust that
the Holy Spirit will speak through you (Luke 12:11-12)
3.
Shine so others can
see the good things you are doing for the Lord (Matthew 5:16)
4.
Tell others that Jesus
is coming back, heal the sick, raise the dead, and cast out demons (Matthew
12:7)
5.
We must tell others
about Jesus and what He has done (John 15:26-27)
DON’T TALK BADLY AND CONTROL WHAT YOU SAY
1.
Don't talk badly and
control what you say (Matthew 15:18-20)
2.
Don't discuss sinful
things in a joking manner or at all (Matthew 7:21-23)
3.
When you say you're
going to do something, then do it, and don't swear that you’ll do it (Matthew
5:34-37)
WATCH OUT FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T TEACH THE TRUTH
1.
Don't follow bad
leaders (Matthew 15:14)
2.
Watch out for false
teachers and pastors who don't speak truth but rather look over serious sin
issues (Matthew 7:15-23)
3.
Understand the
Authority of Jesus' teachings are a lot different than others and it should
amaze us, challenge us, and change us (Matthew 7:28-29)
________________________________________________________
My prayer is that we would eagerly
desire to start obeying the words and commands of Christ like never before. I sincerely hope that you will utilize
this information and start meeting reguarly with one or two people a week, and walk them through the commands of
Christ,hold them accountable for the commands, and help them grow closer in their walk with the Lord. An easy way
to approach a 'discipleship meeting' with another person, is to plan a specific time
and place to meet each week,
and come prepared to touch on 2-3 of the commands in detail. Strive to do some
research into the background and context of each scripture reference and let the
passage itself spur questions and insight into what Jesus was trying to tell us
to do and what that might look like in your lives. Following each discipleship
meeting, I desperately encourage you togo through the following questions in order to develop accountablility,
transperency, friendship, and unity within the group. This tactic is
known as RISE.
It is an acronym that can easily be remembered:
R: Rise Up
Ask each other
what are some things that are keeping you from rising up for Christ. For
instance: unconfessed sin, commands that you're struggling with, job issues,
depression, family problems, etc. Use this as a time to confess sins and
struggles with one another.
I: Imitate Jesus
Ask each other how
yall are doing on looking into what Jesus said on your own. Discuss how
your daily reading of the Bible is going, how your prayer life is, and how yall
are currently striving to imitate Jesus.
S: Share Salvation
Boldly ask each
other who they have invited to church lately or who they have handed a 'John
3:16' card to recently. Strategize ways to share salvation with others in
the coming week.
E: Everyone
Discuss ways that yall
can impact 'everyone' meaning people outside your circle of friends or
immediate church family...what can yall do sacrificically to help others around
the world or next door that can show them the radical love of Christ in a
practical way. ex. Donate money to a charity, help a neighbor with
yard work, pay for someone's meal, plan a mission trip, etc.
After discussing the
RISE acronym, then also ask each other what their 'dream' or 'life goal' is for Christ, and then pray with each other before dismissing the meeting.
Strive to encourage one another throughout the week and strive to equip the other people to be
able to lead their own group in the coming weeks or months depending on their
growth.
*Here's something STAGGERING to consider: If you personally decided to do
this discipleship
meeting program with 2 other people
once a week for 6 months and you trained those 2 people to do the same thing
with 2 other people each after that 6 month period, in 15 years you yourself
would have been a part of making close to 1 million disciples for Christ
yourself. Listen, we don't have to be 'missing it' anymore!
I strongly urge
and encourage you to
get a plan together as soon as possible to startsharing your faith with others and getting them plugged in with a church, getting thembaptized, and then start meeting with 2 people a week
and helping guide them through the commands of Christ. This will definitely change your
life, and you will
experience anunexplainebale peace in knowing that you are doing exactly what
Jesus wanted you to do all along.
If you have any questions or
concerns feel free to message
me on facebook, or text or call me at817.343.4912.
Thanks and God bless,
Ryan Roberts
No comments:
Post a Comment